Contributed by Vania Huang
On December 3rd, 2016, Project EveryBODY invites you to attend PEBcelebrates in celebration of the United Nations International Day of Persons with Disabilities! The event will be held at Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre in Vancouver from 11am to 4pm. Everyone is invited to this free event! There will be ASL interpretation, and the venue is fully wheelchair accessible.
The exciting itinerary includes film, an art show featuring our very own Alternative Creations Studio, music, workshops and PEBtalks.
What is a PEBtalk?
A PEBtalk is a showcase for speakers presenting great, well-formed ideas in under 8 minutes.
PEBtalks is a three hour event comprised of a number of speakers, speaking on different topics, and being curated by a member of the Project EveryBODY Steering Committee, at the Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre in Vancouver. Our goal is to bring together bright minds to give talks that are idea-focused, informational and/or inspirational and on a wide range of subjects, to provide valuable information, foster learning, inspire – and provoke conversations and discussions that matter.
What is a great, well-formed idea?
It can actually be one of three things:
- Something that’s new and surprising; an idea or invention that your audience has never heard about.
- A great idea (that your audience has maybe already heard) with a compelling new argument behind it that challenges beliefs and perspectives.
- Information that would be of benefit to participants
The theme for this year’s PEBtalks is Inclusion matters: access and empowerment of people of all abilities. The goal of this campaign is to celebrate and showcase the achievements and talents that people with disabilities – both visible and invisible- have made and to advocate toward creating a thriving community that is diverse and inclusive.
If you are interested in speaking at one of the PEBtalks, please see the attached document for more information: the last day for submissions is November 14th. We are excited to hear each person’s unique stories and hope that you too will share in this joyous celebration of diversity, inclusion, community and ability. You can visit www.projecteverybody.ca for more information and register now at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/pebcelebrates-project-everybody-intl-day-of-persons-with-disabilities-tickets-26411195597?aff=es2!
Looking for other ways to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities? Here are some more events happening on December 3rd:
- Inclusion BC Film Festival, 7-9pm, Anvil Centre, New Westminster
- Kickstart 1st Annual Public Gathering for International Day of Persons with Disabilities, 12-2pm, Robson Street Plaza, Vancouver
- FamilyWORKS Vancouver Chapter Celebration – click here to get involved!